I was originally going to go based off of the first five chapters, but they had all based off of the perspective of each character. Don’t get me wrong. I really liked that, since it gave me a bit of insight on how everyone else had felt about Shouya and his fall, but for some reason I felt like that wasn’t enough? Although right now it sounds stupid to me…
But still, I wanted to see what happened to Shouya and see whether he was going to ever wake up.
But here’s what I learned:
- Nagatsuka cares very much about Shouya and is grateful for his friendship with him. He also sees how much Shouya cares for Shouko, and even says, “You’re his ‘Big Friend'”. This is a term he was referring to in an earlier chapter as a way to describe Shouya in a screenplay he made for their movie. Basically the good, very important friend.
- Mashiba got bullied for his thick eyebrows, and he was hurt by it to the point where he shaved them to make them much thinner, which ensued even more bullying. He also believed that hanging out with Shouya would make him look “normal” to others. There’s not very much I can say about that there.
- Kawai is unbelievably selfish and delusional. She’s conceited and thinks she’s the best person on earth. She constantly makes herself look like the sob-story victim in any situation possible, and is easily offended by everything. She victimizes herself, and believes it down to the last detail. I don’t mind the confidence in her looks, because everyone needs that. But if you’re a thin-skinned manipulative liar who puts themselves in the middle of every situation, you need to join the military and learn what it really is to struggle.
- Ueno???? I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY EXCEPT THAT SHE’S ALSO SELFISH, AND SHE LITERALLY STARTED BULLYING SHOUKO TO GET SHOUYA TO LIKE HER??? AND SHE WAS HOGGING SHOUYA’S ROOM THE WHOLE TIME?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
- SAHARA ALWAYS BELIEVED THAT SHE WAS UGLY AND IT’S SO SAD TO SEE. SHE’S LITERALLY JUST THIN! SHE’S NOT UGLY AT ALL 😤 Even her kohais said so.
- I have a small hunch that Shouko just didn’t know she was deaf. She somehow remembers her times in elementary school as happy and full of harmony and actually thinks she ruined it. I’m not entirely sure where this had come from, but the poor girl needs a reality check. I also think she can still partially hear people? A couple chapters were made in her perspective. Obviously the dialogue was a little jumbled but you can still understand. So I’m assuming that she can still hear, but just to a certain extent. There was a story I read of a boy born with no ears (this isn’t fiction, I swear), and through his father he fully believed that he could hear like everyone else, and was able to hear the vibration of the sounds through his bones. If he’s able to still hear without ears, Shouko can still hear with her own ears…. But then again she’s a fictional character -_-
AND SHOUYA WOKE UP
Their reunion was beautiful 😍 And Mrs. Ishida’s reaction was kind of funny, but it’s cute since it shows how worried she was since it was weeks since he’d been in a coma.
And as messed up as it was, I couldn’t help but laugh over Shouya’s situation. I’M NOT LAUGHING OVER THE COMA THING, BY THE WAY.
BUT LIKE THE GUY LITERALLY FELL ON HIS ASS?? How do you not find that at least a little funny
And then they all had sushi together since Mrs. Nishimiya wanted to give Mrs. Ishida money for what happened to Shouya. By the way, after chapter 55 I was convinced that Mrs. Nishimiya and Mrs. Ishida would be good friends. At least that’s what it seemed like after they drank together and talked about their ex-husbands 😂
I’m hoping Shouya will make up with everyone soon, but I’m sure Mashiba, Nagatsuka, and Sahara will quickly.